Skip to content →

Category: open lab diary

2018/02/19: 3D location recall task in VR

As noted in the previous post, I want to create a 3D location recall task. I want that people are able to pick up objects from the floor and place them at the locations at which they think the objects were during encoding. I found a good YouTube tutorial (see here) and adapted the respective script (see here), which needs to be added to the wand controllers to work. My version of the script will be uploaded later when it finished. The basic approach is to make the target object a child of the wand controller and to make it…

Leave a Comment

2018/02/14: Final design of project 1

My supervisor and I agreed on the final design while discussing the results of the pilot experiment. We both think that it is important to replicate Lew & Howe (2016) results if their test is used, but not if one uses 3AFC test. They used a Y/N location recognition task (“Was this object in this place before?”) and location recall task (2D picture version). I will develop a spatial 3D location recall task for the VR system to replicate the results in the first experiment. I will also use a 3AFC test to show that it is bias at retrieval…

Leave a Comment

2018/02/13: Final analysis of pilot data

I just finished analysing the pilot data. The next step will be to improve the experimental protocol, some small issues about the graphics of the VE and creating the final analysis script. Link to RMarkdown file

Leave a Comment

2018/01/31: Check performance in pilot study

Today I created the script to analyse the pilot data. It is important to check whether the parameters of the experiment (e.g. time in the VE, number of targets objects etc.) work so that the performance is neither at floor nor at ceiling at the individual level. The next step is to actually collect the pilot data and work on the exact predictions. Link to RMarkdown file

Leave a Comment

2018/01/30: Checking data

For the last days, I worked on the scripts of the retrieval task and the rating task (code can be found here). I successfully checked whether the data is saved correctly and can be used for analysis (see below). The next step now is to run a few pilot participants to see whether the task difficulty is appropriate. Link to RMarkdown file

Leave a Comment

2018/01/25: Second attempt to select stimuli

The second attempt to select stimuli took me longer than I wanted but I finally got a set, which could work. Link to RMarkdown file The next things to do are to test the set in VE and adapt the script for the retrieval task. Rik and I decided to change the confidence ratings after the 3AFC from 1 – 4 to three verbal options (‘Didn’t see object’, ‘Guess the object was there’, ‘Know object was there’).  In the VE, the participants will be ask to count all moveable objects. Also, there could be the need to exclude some stimuli…

Leave a Comment

2018/01/19: Issue with stimulus selection and some thoughts

This entry contains thoughts and observations for the last couple of days because I was stuck with a problem and didn’t have a lot say. The problem was that I hadn’t controlled the number of times a location can serve as a foil when I had picked the set of object/locations pairs. This is indeed problematic because some locations were used four times. If you know which object was at a specific location, it isn’t really a foil anymore influencing subsequent trials. Therefore, I tried to find another way to select object/location pairs. The respective RMarkdown document will hopefully be…

Leave a Comment