Skip to content →

Jörn Alexander Quent Posts

2018/03/22: General update and plan for the future

Even though the last post is basically a month ago, I am still committed to this diary. Therefore I thought to provide an update. I spent the last month with finishing the experiment and preparing its pre-registration. In that progress, I have started working on the R script that analyses the data to include it in the pre-registration. I want to use mixed linear models to analyse the data so that I can model the performance on individual trials. To really understand these models, I simulated data, which can be found here. This worked quite well though I still need…

Leave a Comment

2018/02/19: 3D location recall task in VR

As noted in the previous post, I want to create a 3D location recall task. I want that people are able to pick up objects from the floor and place them at the locations at which they think the objects were during encoding. I found a good YouTube tutorial (see here) and adapted the respective script (see here), which needs to be added to the wand controllers to work. My version of the script will be uploaded later when it finished. The basic approach is to make the target object a child of the wand controller and to make it…

Leave a Comment

2018/02/14: Final design of project 1

My supervisor and I agreed on the final design while discussing the results of the pilot experiment. We both think that it is important to replicate Lew & Howe (2016) results if their test is used, but not if one uses 3AFC test. They used a Y/N location recognition task (“Was this object in this place before?”) and location recall task (2D picture version). I will develop a spatial 3D location recall task for the VR system to replicate the results in the first experiment. I will also use a 3AFC test to show that it is bias at retrieval…

Leave a Comment

2018/02/13: Final analysis of pilot data

I just finished analysing the pilot data. The next step will be to improve the experimental protocol, some small issues about the graphics of the VE and creating the final analysis script. Link to RMarkdown file

Leave a Comment

2018/02/07: Variable naming

I recently realised that I am sometimes quite inconsistent when it comes to naming variables. I decided to stipulate a variable naming convention that I can stick to. This convention should be useable in the three major languages I use (R, Matlab, C#). That means I can’t for instance use dots within a name because it would only work in R.  I will keep an updated version here. I hereby stipulate the following rules to name variables: Variable names should be informative. Example: rt for reaction time. They should be short. Therefore I will use capitalisation to separate the variable…

Leave a Comment

2018/01/31: Check performance in pilot study

Today I created the script to analyse the pilot data. It is important to check whether the parameters of the experiment (e.g. time in the VE, number of targets objects etc.) work so that the performance is neither at floor nor at ceiling at the individual level. The next step is to actually collect the pilot data and work on the exact predictions. Link to RMarkdown file

Leave a Comment

2018/01/30: Checking data

For the last days, I worked on the scripts of the retrieval task and the rating task (code can be found here). I successfully checked whether the data is saved correctly and can be used for analysis (see below). The next step now is to run a few pilot participants to see whether the task difficulty is appropriate. Link to RMarkdown file

Leave a Comment